Thursday, April 29, 2010

A New Skill - Knit & Crochet Blog Week Day 4


A New Skill

Is there a skill related to your hobby that you hope to learn one day? maybe you’re a crocheter who’d also like to knit? Maybe you’d like to learn to knit continental, knit backwards, try cables or attempt stranded colourwork.

First of all, 'colourwork'--you Brits and your adorable extra u's.

Second of all, one word--steeking. Let me try to sum this up for you: it's a Shetland technique, where you knit a Fair Isle sweater in the round, without worrying about the armholes--then you cut the 'steek' (an extra line of stitches, constructed supposedly in a way that you won't unravel your entire sweater when you cut them) for the armholes. Let me repeat that last part. You cut the armholes. YOU CUT YOUR KNITTING. I can't think of anything more terrifying, and I'm including J-horror ghosts, clowns, dolls that come to life, and my hair in the morning.

You can check out this nifty tutorial for more info on how to do it, and what your finished product can look like (ominous voice: IF YOU DARE).


To find other participating blogs, search for knitcroblo4.

12 comments:

  1. LOL I wonder who tought of it for the first time ever ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steeking is feared widely (by me included). But all who try it seem to succeed! I have not yet come across an account of steeking that said something like "Oh my gosh what have I done, all that hard work and now it's ruined!" Hmmm, maybe they just keep quiet about those...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steeking is exactly why I have never tackled a fair isle project. (yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet those that fail are too jaded to report back to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd need a stiff drink to make that first cut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steeking is on my list as scary as it is I also find it very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steeks. That is the new skill I want to learn as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That steeking sounds really scary :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It isn't an extra 'u'- its totally meant to be there, some people just forget it :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am definitely scared of steeking too. It's on my to-do list this year though... trying to conquer the fear!

    ReplyDelete