Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One Great Knitter - Knit & Crochet Blog Week Day 3


One Great Knitter

Write about a knitter whose work (whether because of project choice, photography, styling, scale of projects, stash, etc) you enjoy. If they have an enjoyable blog, you might find it a good opportunity to send a smile their way.


At first, this was a topic that stumped me. I have been relatively isolated in my knitting experience; I have one local yarn shop to my name, no knitting friends to speak of, and discovered Ravelry less than a year ago. There hasn't really been anyone to clue me in to who the heavy hitters of the knitting world are (boo hoo whine whine, right?). I considered doing the wild card topic, but while I was pondering I thought, seriously? Let's be honest with ourselves. I have a total girl-crush on the Stitch Diva (given name: Jennifer Hansen).

Her royal highness.

The Sahara pattern was the first design I found that struck me as so gorgeous that I actually had the guts to drop cash for my first really nice yarn (Tilli Tomas silk...ooh la la!). I later made the Silken Scabbard for my mom:

Somebody looks like a happy camper!

And as discussed in a previous blog week post, it was the first project that I felt totally in control at the wheel. Awesome feeling--and I loved the result so much that I'm in the process of making another one for myself!

The Stitch Diva Studio's site states '[W]e've been aptly described as offering "well-written knitting and crochet patterns for hipsters."' I think this is what drew me to her patterns--not that I'm a hipster (hold on, gotta adjust my skinny jeans and plastic glasses--OK, good)--but that the patterns are definitely sleek and modern. I also appreciate and am impressed by the fact that she designs for both knit and crochet; though I don't crochet, it's an incredible feat. I may be in a bit of a rut with her patterns, but I don't care. Love!


To find other participating blogs, search for knitcroblo3.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think it can be considered a rut if you truly love what you're knitting. Plus, they're designs are just drop-dead gorgeous!

    Love your mom's sweater. totally chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Stitch Diva! Her patterns are really sleek and lovely - definitely one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how many designers provide hipsterish patterns nowadays! My friends still expect me to show them potato-bag-resembling sweaters when I start bragging about my knitwear, but boy oh boy are they in for a surprize! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot of knitting friends on Raverly. I know what it is like to knit in isolation, but there are others out there. The internet and the explosion of knitting in general have changed things for me. I am fortunate to live near a large city and have lots of options. 20 years ago was a very different scene.

    ReplyDelete